Department: Finance and Administration
Purpose of the position
- This position will have primary responsibility for overseeing the regional finance and accounting function for Evidence Action in its countries of operation in West and Central Africa.
- This will include leading the country’s finance and accounting teams and liaising with country leaders to ensure that the country teams coordinate finance and accounting tasks in the sub-region.
- The position will be responsible for ensuring alignment, coordination and compliance with the sub-region’s financial and accounting policies, processes and systems.
- The position will coordinate and ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating and accounting for transactions, as well as proper serialization and secure filing.
- The position has access to the confidential information of the organization which must be protected by adhering to the values of the organization in keeping the information confidential.
- The Senior Finance Manager will act as a resource and/or coordinate resources between sub-regional and country offices, and perform other duties as defined by the Head of Department/Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide mentorship and guidance to the WCA sub-region finance team
- Communicate regularly with program, country and sub-WCA sub-region managers to identify capacity needs and oversee country finance functions.
- Responsible for developing/refining and regularly reporting key performance indicators and metrics to management regarding team operations and capacity/gaps
Management of program funds:
- In coordination with DFO, prepare monthly requests for funds from the WCA sub-region to be submitted to HQ, ensuring that the minimum amount of funds are available for in-country teams to fully implement the activities of the projects and meet all Evidence Action financial commitments in a timely manner.
- Maintain financial and accounting system and reporting in accordance with Evidence Action Finance manual and guidelines/policies
- Review all invoices and payments for compliance with Evidence Action/Donor procedures, including availability of funds before approvals are made.
- Maintain good working relationships with Evidence Action bankers in the WCA sub-regional office and country offices
- Perform periodic expense reviews/analysis and certify general ledger, cash book, trial balance and other relevant reports generated in Sage Intacct accounting package
- Maintain/track accounts receivable (A/R) for all program staff and ensure settlement of all cash advances within specified timeframes in accordance with the finance manual
Budgeting and reporting:
- Coordinate and maintain budget controls for WCA sub-region expenditures, in consultation with Evidence Action’s Senior Grants Manager and DFO.
- Coordinate and review the accuracy of accounting entries to ensure they are completed on time to facilitate monthly/quarterly reporting to donors and management.
- In conjunction with the Senior Grants Manager, coordinate and follow up on all proposed reclassifications in a timely manner, as advised by budget and other program managers.
Grant management and audit facilitation:
- Oversee the facilitation and management of the sub-grants process through the Grants Manager in accordance with the Evidence Action Grants manual, in tandem with donor financial management rules and regulations
- Participate in capacity building of financial and non-financial staff.
- Prepare and facilitate external/internal audits, as required, in consultation with DFO and US office and respond to audit requests.
General financial administration:
- Keep abreast of government regulations and financial management and donor reporting requirements
- Coordinate and guide all finance staff in the preparation of Evidence Action’s annual audits in accordance with the schedule and guidelines provided.
- Supervise, coordinate and provide technical support to finance staff in the AOC sub-region and conduct review of their duties as appropriate from time to time
- Assist in the knowledge management process by providing accurate, sound and timely professional advice to Evidence Action management by providing refresher training/orienting new finance/administrative staff to the Evidence Handbook and accounting system Stock.
- Develop/design tools or implement a system to assist finance staff with daily monitoring of program advances, asset management and ensure accurate tracking and reconciliation
- Participate in staff appraisals for direct reports WCA Country Finance Officers in the sub-region.
- Maintain good relationships with Evidence Action stakeholders including donors, government, partners and communities; adequately embracing the principles of Evidence Action at all times
- Contribute to all relevant meetings involving the consideration of policy/procedure formulation issues relating to the overall operations of the organization.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by DFO.
- Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field.
- Be a registered member of at least one professional body of chartered accountant in West or Central Africa.
- Bilingual (French and English) strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in a position with similar responsibilities.
- Strategic and tactical critical thinker with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Confident decision-maker who can clearly communicate directions and solutions to technical and non-technical staff.
- Understanding of the operational role of the Operations and Logistics function within programs and the organization, and setting objectives accordingly.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing others.
- Metrics-driven performance philosophy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows 7 and 10, Skype, Microsoft Office 2013-16
- Good written and verbal proficiency in English.
- Higher education (Master’s degree in a relevant field)
- professional certificate
- Management experience (Experience leading a team)
- Experience in international development (work experience for a non-profit organization).
- Hours of work and principal place of work shall include working hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), Monday to Friday, at Evidence Action’s Abuja office and any adjustments in agreement with the Director, Finance and Operations, Africa.
- Work outside working hours may be required as required to oversee/complete scheduled activities, participate in international conference calls across multiple time zones, or respond to emergency situations.
- Some trips. The Associate Director will visit offices across Nigeria and other WC Africa countries as required for training purposes and meetings of program and country staff.
- Senior Associate Finance, Nigeria
- Senior Associate Finance and Ops, Liberia.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, affiliation politics, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service or other factors unrelated to deserved.
Interested and qualified? Go to Evidence Action at evidenceaction.bamboohr.com to apply